What you are looking for isn't directly supported in Tomcat 3.3.1.
Are you able permitted to use customized version of Tomcat 3.3.1?
If not, you could try setting noCookies="true" on the global
<SessionId> and setting noCookies="false" on the local <SessionId>
for Contexts you want to use cookies.  It looks like the
cookiesFirst setting on the global <SessionId> will apply to all.

If you can use a customized (i.e. replace SessionId with
your modified version) Tomcat 3.3.1, then a better solution
should be possible.  Let me know if you want to try this
path.

Cheers,
Larry