I second (or third, I lost count!) the PDF vote.

John Turner
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 2:29 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Formatting web pages for printing.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Kofon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 10:46 AM
Subject: OT: Formatting web pages for printing.

> Hi all,
> I'm building a web app for my company that will help us create quotes. The
> quotes are stored as XML files and get translated/displayed in a frame
with
> XSLT. Problem is when printing the quotes, there's no way to specify what
> the margins should be. I've tried setting the attributes of the body tag
in
> the XSL style-sheet but I'm not getting satifactory results. I don't want
> the user to depend on the browser's Page Setup settings for determining
what
> the page would look like finally. Is there a way to set the page margins
> using a style-sheet or something? If there is, I'd like to know, thanks.

Printing Web pages is basically a non-starter. You have pretty much zero
control over what the page will look like when printed, as it depends on all
sorts of factors out of your control (the users computer, printer, browser,
etc.).

Pretty much the more control you try to take over the formatting, the worse
off you'll be. If you had a pretty free form format for you output, then
this wouldn't be an issue.

Your best bet would be to convert you XML into PDF and have them print that
if you want to be a stickler for formatting.

Regards,

Will Hartung
([EMAIL PROTECTED])