On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Gare, Tref wrote:

> Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 11:10:46 +1000
> From: "Gare, Tref" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: 'Tomcat Users List' <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Tomcat 4.0.4 Startup Bug?
>
> Can anyone throw any light or give any debug advice on the following.
> We've just upgraded our servers to Tomcat 4.0.4 (from 3.2.3) and on startup
> we're getting the following error.
>
> Starting service Tomcat-Standalone
> Apache Tomcat/4.0.4
> ERROR reading java.io.ByteArrayInputStream@38bef7
> At Line 32 /web-app/servlet/
>
> Starting service Tomcat-Apache
> Apache Tomcat/4.0.4
>
> I can't quite work out what the Line 32 /web-app/servlet error refers to.

Most likely the web.xml file of some web application, since those files
contain <servlet> elements inside <web-app> elements.  Off the top of my
head, I'd bet you have an unterminated String literal or something.

Best way to find out which webapp is causing you grief is to remove them
all, and then add them back one at a time.

> Following startup most things seem to be working fine but some webapps are
> simply not appearing, despite their war files getting unpacked succesfully.
> The IIS autoconfig files have worked and set up the redirection succesfully
> but Tomcat sends a 404.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Tref Gare