Howdy,
I would be very careful synchronizing stuff on a request or response
reference.  The potential performance bottlenecks could be crippling if
you site has many concurrent users.

Did you actually see the browser getting the same screen twice, "mixed"?
I've found that tomcat usually does an excellent job at properly
assigning requests to threads.  Perhaps one of your servlets needs to
implement SingleThreadModel instead?

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

JSP?