On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Ian McFarland wrote:

> Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 19:56:19 -0700
> From: Ian McFarland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Tomcat Users List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Cc: Ian McFarland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Need help deciphering the docs for <Host/>
>
> Hello,
>
> The docs say that the Host tag can take a deployXML attribute, and has
> the following explanation:
>
> "Set to false if you want to disable deploying applications using a
> Context XML config file. Applications are deployed with the security
> permissions of catalina, for security this may need to be set to false
> if untrusted users can manage web applications. The flag's value
> defaults to true." (From
>
>http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/config/host.html#Standard%20Implementation)
>
> What is meant by 'a Context XML config file'? Is this a deployment
> descriptor? (A web.xml) Something different?

In Tomcat 4.1.x, you can take the <Context> element (and it's nested
elements) out of server.xml and manage them in a separate file called a
"context config file".  If one of these files is found in the "webapps"
directory, that application will get deployed with a configuration based
on the contents of this file, just as if it had been embedded inside the
<Host> element in server.xml.

In the 4.1.7 beta release, for example, the admin and manager webapps are
deployed in this way.

> Also, I noticed that the server.xml file doesn't have the standard XML
> preamble (No <?xml?> tag, and no DTD reference.) Is there a DTD for this
> file, or is it more of an ad hoc kind of thing? Should I be asking this
> on the developer list instead? Let me know. (I always try to ask stuff
> on the user list first, as a courtesy, but this seems like it might be
> more a developer list question.)

There should probably be an <?xml?> tag at the top.

For DTDs, however, there is not and cannot be one.  The challenge is that
you can define your own implementation classes for many elements
(including <Valve>, just to take one example), and your implementation
class might have a set of JavaBeans properties to configure it.  If you
built a DTD for server.xml, the information about the <Valve> element
would not list the attributes for the properties supported by your Valve
class.

> Thanks in advance!
> -Ian

Craig