> Situation:
> Red Hat Linux 7.2 with Apache 1.3.20 installed out of box.
>
> I installed Tomcat 4.0.4
>
> I want to install mod_jk so that I can have Apache handle SSL/static
content,
> and have Tomcat handle JSP/servlets.
>
> I downloaded the source code for mod_jk from:
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release/v4.0.4/src/
>
> Problem: there are no instructions on how to build anything.
> I'm assuming I need to build a mod_jk.so file and or JAR file.
> Is there anything that provides step-by-step instructions on how
> to compile this stuff and install it and configure Tomcat/Apache?
>
> Pointers to the RTFM appreciated! I'm having a hard time tracking
> down definitive documentation on this.
> Thanks,
> Chris

Chris,

I'm  in a similar situation (RedHat Linux 7.3, Apache 1.3.23, Tomcat 4.0.1)
and  am  having  a  hard time tracking down definitive information, too.  I
just  purchased  Apache Jakarta-Tomcat by James Goodwill; hopefully it will
help (it's on its way from Amazon.com).

>From  what  I  have  read, the version of mod_jk that came with tomcat v3.3
works  with  tomcat  v4.   Binaries for several different flavors of mod_jk
exist                                                                    at
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat/release/v3.3/bin/linux/i386/.

 Since     you're     running    Apache    1.3,    you'll    want    either
mod_jk-3.3-ap13-noeapi.so  or mod_jk-3.3-ap13-eapi.so (*ap20* is for Apache
2).

Hope this helps.

Mark

Mark A. Pauley
College of Information Science & Technology, UNO
Omaha, NE 68182-0116
e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]