From: Peter B. West [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, July 25, 2002 11:46 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: mod_jk/tomcat RPM configuration

Peter B. West wrote:

> I am installing tomcat 4.0.4 with apache-1.3.23-11 rpms from redhat on a
> redhat 7.3 system.  I had previously installed a beta version of 3.3
> with the then-current apache, and I had the transfer of control from
> apache to tomcat via an ajp13 connector working.  That was a while ago.
>

> Why does the documentation refere to libexec/mod_*.so in a number of
> places?  There is no libexec directory anywhere in my installation of
> apache.  Neither is there a modules directory, but that doesn't stop the
> httpd.conf file referring to "modules/mod_*.so".  Are both "modules" and
> "libexec" translated in the bowels of apache?  Should I replace all
> doumentation references to libexec/mod_*.so for unix systems with
> modules/mod_*.so?

Ok, having seen some other postings, I realise that apache as compiled
on unix boxes puts modules in /usr/local/apache/libexec, e.g.,
/usr/local/apache/libexec/mod_jk.so.

Presumably then, an apache installation is aware of the equivalent of
APACHE_HOME.  The location of the standard modules in the apache RPMs is
/usr/lib/apache, e.g., /usr/lib/apache/mod_mime.so.  Does this mean that
the references to, e.g., libexec/mod_jk.so should be replaced with
relative paths mod_jk.so, or with absolute paths?  How then are the
LoadModule commands in httpd.conf, which specify modules/mod_*.so,
interpreted?

--
Peter B. West  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://powerup.com.au/~pbwest
"Lord, to whom shall we go?"