Have you checked your web.xml?  Do you have a security-constraint?
You may need one.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, July 25, 2002 1:09 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: manager app

Anybody have any ideas what I could be doing wrong?  This is how I have my
tomcat-users.xml file set up in my $CATALINA_HOME/conf directory.  I've done
restart (actually several) since adding tcuser.  When I try to go to
http://localhost:8080/manager, it prompts me for username and password.  I
enter tcuser and tcpass in, and, after 3 attempts, it brings me to a "401 -
Unauthorized" screen.  I'm running Tomcat 4.0.3 on RedHat Linux 6.2.  I
don't
see what could be going on, since this seems like a pretty straightforward
thing.  Any place I could look that may be short-circuiting my manager app?

Thanks,
-Jeff

<!--
  NOTE:  By default, no user is included in the "manager" role required
  to operate the "/manager" web application.  If you wish to use this app,
  you must define such a user - the username and password are arbitrary.
-->
<tomcat-users>
  <user name="tomcat" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat" />
  <user name="role1"  password="tomcat" roles="role1"  />
  <user name="both"   password="tomcat" roles="tomcat,role1" />
  <user name="tcuser" password="tcpass" roles="manager" />
</tomcat-users>

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
For additional commands, e-mail:
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>