Is there technique to share a session, or objects within the session between web
applications?  What I want to do is login or register at a site and if the user moves
to a different webapp, I want to be able to determine, by looking for an object in the
user's session, that they are already logged in.

 Using realms and single sign on doesn't appear to do what I want because it A)
doesn't allow me to get me the primary key for the user, B) doesn't allow me to write
any special processing code, specifically to md5 encrypt the password before
performing the query. C) most importantly, it doesn't seem to allow me to carry
information accross webapps.

<mike/>