You missunderstood something:

- There are two main kinds of ports:
  - One that is used to talk HTTP.
    That is the port that is seen be the outer world as
    the webserver. The default port for a client application
    (like a browser) for a web server is 80.
    That means that http://localhost and http://localhost:80
    are the same. If the webserver runs on a different port
    you have to specify it explicitly. Tomcat can run as a
    stand alone webserver but has a default of 8080 (somtimes 8180)
    for the HTTPConnector.

  - One port that is used when tomcat sits behind a webserver
    (like apache or IIS) to do the communication between apache
    and tomcat. In this case the webserver talks HTTP and it
    depends completly on the configuration of apache which port
    is used to talk HTTP.

- If you have apache on port 80 and enabled the HttpConnector
  on port 8080 you serve through apache if you type http://localhost
  or http://localhost:80 and serve through tomcat if you type
  http://localhost:8080

- Which connector is used depends on the configuration in
  httpd.conf. It is possible that you define different virtual hosts
  where different hosts can have different connectors.
  You only have make shure that the port is unique for each connector.
  (Or to be more precise the combination of IP and port must be unique,
   it also possible to use the same port, as long as the connectors
   use different IP's)

- Yes if you use tomcat behind apache you can and should disable
  the HttpConnector. But it's usefull to enable it if you have
  troubles to find out if the problem lies in the connector or in
  tomcat. (In fact several people recommend to start with tomcat
  standalone and only start with the integration if tomcat runs
  standalone)

Ralph Einfeldt
Uptime Internet Solution Center GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Hosting, Content Management, Java Consulting
http://www.uptime-isc.de