I think that you have the wrong design to achieve
this.

I would recommend following approach:
- Start tomcat at systemstart
- Request the connection to the backend server
  at the first request to the site and store the
  connection with application scope.
- Write a SessionListener that keeps track on the open sessions
  and closes the resource if the last open session is closed.

Ralph Einfeldt
Uptime Internet Solution Center GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Hosting, Content Management, Java Consulting
http://www.uptime-isc.de