Tomcat is not a webserver.  It is not built to be a webserver, it is not
designed to be a webserver, and as a webserver it does a fairly poor job
compared to applications that are specifically designed and built to be
webservers, like apache.

That is why you have connectors.  In production environments, with a mix of
static and dynamic content, you would NOT want to rely on tomcat as your
sole webserver.  You would want apache to handle the things it is good at
handling, and let tomcat handle the things it is good at handling (and
specifically designed and built to handle).

You would also have scenarios where a site might have some CGI or even PHP,
or some server-side includes, some static content, and some servlets and
JSPs.  What would you do then?  How would you make tomcat serve CGI or PHP?
How would you put access restrictions on directories if those directories
were not within tomcat's scope?

Tomcat is a servlet container that can act as a general-purpose webserver if
needed.  It is not a web server, nor was it designed to be a web server, and
it shouldn't be.  Apache is a perfectly good webserver...putting effort into
getting tomcat to be just as good as apache would be wasted.  Creating a
connector is easier, and it allows organizations who already have a
substantial investment in apache to implement tomcat seamlessly.

John Turner
[EMAIL PROTECTED]