> Anyway, when I use jspc to precompile I get all the .java files in  , but
> no class files.  Does jspc only generate the servlet java files?  The whole
> point of precompiling was to prevent javac from being called to compile
> those servlets to work around the javac memory leak and speed up page

This is not the answer but most likely a question, which came in my head
while I was reading. AFAIK a running server (and server which does not serve
developers' needs) compiling is made only one time when the server gets the
request for a certain jsp page. After this compiling each following request
is served by the server without recompiling (in the case the time of last
modification of this jsp file is not changed) so javac is not called each
time when the server gets a request for this page and as follows it does not
have an influence on the speed of serving user's requests. Do I understand
something wrong?

ilis