what's to stop a hacker from stealing the session, then going to the
user profile page and looking at the password? Of course if you do pass
the user to http from https, you can still require profile management go
through https, or simply never print the password to the browser.

I personally wouldn't want to use a insecure site for anything with
personal information.  as others have said, you have to weigh the cost
vs advantage of tight security. if you're prohibited by cost, ie paying
for cert, and hardware, then you really don't have a choice.

peter