I checked the link out and actually found out that it's possible to do
the same by just starting tomcat with./catalina.sh jpda start...

One thing the link mentions is that he uses the context with reload so
that tomcat doesn't have to be restarted. How do you go about doing
that?

The tomcat site talks about using the administration apps to achieve
that but a quick google search on how to set it up (not through the
admin apps) didn't get me what I was looking for.

 Thanks!