On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Paul Brinkley wrote:

> [snip]
> Putting "URGENT" is another annoyance.  It conveys the notion that the
> asker didn't plan time wisely.  If you truly got blindsided by a
> last-second request by management to solve a problem, you can explain in
> the body of the message.  If your job is at stake, then your management
> needs to get its priorities straightened out, and until then you're
> probably better off somewhere else.

While many of us can feel the hair on our backs start to bristle whenever
we see the word "Urgent" in a subject line, we do need to cut people a
little slack in one important respect.  A very large number of the people
posting questions on this list are not native English speakers -- they are
struggling to get across the basics of their question, and are not
necessarily familiar with the nuances of word choices that we take for
granted.

So let's try showing a little bit of understanding, OK?

> End soapbox.

Likewise.

Craig McClanahan