On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Michael Locasto wrote:

> Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 17:58:23 -0400
> From: Michael Locasto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Tomcat Users List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: tomcat performance and load capability
>

> > - Our provider has uttered that running it on two machines (Solaris),
> > one containing the apache web server, the other server hosting tomcat
> > would be the way to do it. Since only a few popup's are HTML and all
> > other pages have to be handled by Tomcat anyway (I would say more than
> > 80% off all request are for JSP's), I am concerned if it really is a
> > good idea to have apache forwarding all pages to a different computer.
> > Since we HAVE to use our providers shared MySql, the database server was
> > not part of my performance consideration.
>
> having apache handle static content isn't a bad idea anyway.
>
> > - Which version of Tomcat is recommended (4.0.4 or 4.1.8)?
>
> 4.0.4 is the current "production quality" release, but the 4.1.x (4.1.9
> was just released) releases will probably give you better performance, as
> well as running with the jdk1.4. Many folks on this list have reported
> good things while running 4.1.x

Among other things, 4.1.x includes a completely rewritten JSP page
compiler.  One of the primary concerns was improving the performance of
the generated code for a JSP page, especially for pages that use lots of
custom tags (where 8x to 10x performance improvements have been observed).

That being said, there are many other critical success factors, including
proper configuration (75 just happens to be the default maximum number of
threads on the HTTP connector -- is that coincidental?) to which OS/JVM
combination you are running (the maximum simultaneous thread counts for
different combinations vary widely) to how fast your database accesses
run.  Performance tuning is almost always going to be very dependent on
the particular mix of technologies and behavior in *your* application.

> If you are concerned with relatively heavy load, you may wish to consider
> multiple Tomcat instances.
>
> Regards,
> Michael

Craig