>url rewriting is mostly done by a module that intecepts
>incoming requests and changes it the before the request
>is forwarded to the application. The Application doesn't
>see the original request. (Look for mod_rewrite for apache)

Oh I see. So it acts as a kind of filter. Thanks for the info.

>What you look for is redirection. The server tells the
>browser to look at a different location for a given url.

NO. I know about redirection and do not want it. I have
a servlet which is very general and takes a general
input and generates different outputs. I want the servlet
to send a url back to browser along with the output.
This way, I need not bother the client with different
URLs for the same servlet, this is anyway handled by
the html form. Now you might ask, why I need this: just
for the sake of visual convinience :-), and match the url
with the content.