Have you thought about using a Filter?  filters can do pre and post
processing on requests/responses and you can map it to any set of servlets
or jsp's you want meaning that all your logic is in a single place and none
of the servlets/jsp's even know it is there so you don't even have to
account for it in your servlets/jsps.  Also, you could use an
HttpSessionListener to run code at the start or the end of a session.

Jake