Hi All,

Just wondering if you could help me clarify a few questions I have about
tomcat
and catalina.policy. Im running tomcat 4.0.4 (w/ security manager) with
mod_jk
on solaris with about 300+ users, all of whom can deploy jsp/servlets from
their public_html directory.

A user requirement is that they must is to be able to read/write files in
their
home directory. This is what im a little confused about. I understand I can
put
an entry like:

permission java.io.FilePermission "/home/-", "read,write,delete,execute";"

in catalina.policy, but how does this enable tomcat to write to other user's
home directories (when tomcat is running as a user with minimal privledges)?
Or
must I change permissions on the file to allow the user that is running
tomcat
to write to it (is this the normal practice?).

Also, this is probably more a java question, but do standard unix
permissions
always take precedence over what is set in catalina.policy? (In my
understanding
the unix permissions take precedence, but I just wanted to make sure(please
excuse my java ignorance))

Any help appreciated,

Cheers,