Yes, there are a few! What version of the OS are you talking about? OS
X comes with a complete JDK 1.3.1 installed. OS 9 and before had a
downloadable Java runtime, called Mac Runtime for Java, or MRJ, that
could be installed. (The current incarnation is also called MRJ, btw,
but since it's not a separate install, it's transparent to the user.)
The OS 9 JVM is only JDK 1.1.8, though. You can download it here:
http://developer.apple.com/java/download.html. OS X is the way to go if
your friend has any reasonably modern Mac.

You can also run Jikes on OS X, if you don't want to use the Sun+Apple
javac.

Incidentally, Tomcat runs great on OS X. For a howto, please see my
website: www.javaosx.com. For general Java on Mac OS docs, see
developer.apple.com.

-Ian