>From: "Craig R. McClanahan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Rum Pel wrote:
>
> > Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 05:05:47 -0400
> > From: Rum Pel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Subject: 404 Not found - howto
> >

> > Can a servlet produce a "404 Page Not found" error? It seems to me
> > that it is the webserver/appserver that should do this, but I want
> > it in the context of outputting static content via a servlet:
> > http://localhost:8080/webapp/wsdl?ws=name
> > should give a 404 error in case ws=name is not found.
> >

>   response.sendError(HttpServletResponse.SC_NOT_FOUND,
>                     "your error message goes here");

I tried this. What I got in the browser was a neatly laid out page
showing the error in Tomcat's description format. What I am not sure
is if Tomcat also returns 404 in the http response, and the error
description is part of the HTTP's 404 code. For example, when I give
the url: http://www.stanford.edu/se.html, the page I get is, I think,
IE's local page, and not the one sent by stanford's webserver.

So what I want to know, in addition to sending out "I ate your page"
html, does the webserver also send out 404 in the HTTP response?
The reason I am asking is becoz I working in the context of automated
clients, which only understands HTTP's response but not interpret text.

Thanks in advance,
--rp