Thank you Jake - for replying to my question.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jacob Kjome [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, August 19, 2002 2:15 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Dumb question

Hello Kemp,

Note that if a .war file exists *and* a directory with the name of the
.war file minus the .war exists, the .war will not be re-expanded upon
future restarts.  This means that Tomcat will serve stuff out of the
directory, if it exists.

So, you don't need to re-create the .war file unless you plan on
deleting the directory and letting tomcat re-deploy the .war file.
You can just drop your modified .html and .jsp files into the
directory.  There are no issues with the .html file, but there would
be with dynamic files like .jsp's.  Fortunately, .jsp's are
re-compiled and re-loaded when updated so you should see your changes
upon the first request after adding the modified file *without*
restarting Tomcat.  Note that is isn't the case for servlets.

Jake

KRW> Please forgive this dumb question - but I just don't get it.  I prepare a war
file in Tomcat and execute it OK.  The war file consists of a few JSP and HTML pages.
If I wish to just change one
KRW> JSP or HTML page, do I:
KRW> 1. Recreate the war file
KRW> 2. Just move the files into the expanded directory that Tomcat created for the
war file.
KRW> 3.  Move the files into the expanded directory that Tomcat created for the war
file - and also bring Tomcat up and down.

--
Best regards,
 Jacob                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]