Hi all,

I'm deploying Tomcat 4.0.4 stand-alone (no Apache) in
a production environment and came across the bug
included below on Bugtraq. Basically, it says Tomcat
4.0.3 is vulnerable to a DoS attack based on sending a
bunch of bad requests with "null characters" that hang
all the processing threads.

The report says this bug is was found in 4.0.3 in late
May and confirmed fixed in the 4.1.3 beta in early
June.

What I would like to know is if this bug is fixed in
4.0.4 as well, since I can't deploy beta code to a
production server. I've done a bit of research and
can't seem to find the answer on the web or in the
release notes.

Thanks for any help!

-Josh

--------------------------

Title: Apache Tomcat Denial of Service

BUG-ID: 2002025
Released: 20th Jun 2002

Problem:
========
A malicious user could tie up all 75 working threads
and cause a
Denial of Service situation.

Vulnerable:
===========
- Apache Tomcat 4.0.3 on Windows 2000 Server

Not Vulnerable:
===============
- Apache Tomcat 4.1.3 beta on Windows 2000 Server

Details:
========
By sending a large amount of null characters to the
web service
it is possible to cause a working thread to hang. The
default
installation has 75 working threads, which means this
malformed
request has to be sent to the server 75 times.

Vendor URL:
===========
You can visit the vendor webpage here:
http://jakarta.apache.org

Vendor Response:
================
This was reported to the vendor on the 23rd of May,
2002. We
never heard back from the vendor. On the 10th of June,
2002, the
issue was confirmed fixed in the latest build.

Corrective action:
==================
Upgrade to V4.1.3 beta, which is available here (URL
is wrapped):

"http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release
/v4.1.3-beta/"

Author: Peter Gründl ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

KPMG is not responsible for the misuse of the
information we provide
through our security advisories. These advisories are
a service to
the professional security community. In no event shall
KPMG be lia-
ble for any consequences whatsoever arising out of or
in connection
with the use or spread of this information.