> I think that it could be a problem with the commons-logging
> API used by tomcat, struts, ...
>
> Theoricaly, commons-logging should discover itself the
> logging lib used(log4j, JDK 1.4, ...) but you can force it
> using a property files.
>
> See the commons logging doc to know more about this property file.

I don't think this is the problem for two reasons:

1) I have the same problem with my logging and I'm not using Apache's
logging API.

2) It works fine with Tomcat 4.0.4 and doesn't work with 4.1.9.  I know
4.1.9 was modified so that stdout & err do not go to the console.  It
looks like they prevented the ConsoleAppender from going to the console
too.  Not sure at this point if it's a bug or by design.

Michael