"Nehemia Litterat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

> Hi
>
> I am using tomact 4.0.4 and JDK1.3.1
>
> I am trying to read parameter in hebrew from the URL but get '???' writing
Hebrew to the browser works fine

> I can not use req.setCharacterEncoding(java.lang.String env) (can not
compile the code when I am using it)

This is almost certainly due to having an older version of servlet.jar in
your classpath.  One especial got-ya is to have on older version of j2ee.jar
and/or servlet.jar in $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext.  If this is the case, kill it.
Otherwise, try compiling with:
javac -classpath $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib/servlet.jar:$CLASSPATH
MyServlet.java

> is there a way to go around it. I am very flexiable in choosing the JDK
and TOMCAT version to work with but they need to be release version and not
beta or something like this

<blatant-plug>
Tomcat 3.3.1 has excellent charset support, especially if you are willing to
use it's non-portable features.
</blatant-plug>
However, once you solve your compilation problem, 4.x should do everything
that you need it to do (and portably as well :).