I think there was a RequestInterceptor that someone wrote a while ago for
3.2.x. you can search through the archives.

you should look into 3.3 or 4.x as I belive both contain a way to do it
easily and they have additional features that you may find usefull.

I wouldn't add the complexity of apache/connector if logging is your only
goal.

Charlie