Set the timeout in web.xml inside the <web-app> tags like this
  <session-config>
    <session-timeout>
       720  <!-- 720 minutes = 12 hrs -->
    </session-timeout>
  </session-config>

To check for the timeout, store something in the session
when they log in, like this
        session.putValue(StringConstants.USER_DATA,userInfo);
and then check it on each page like this
        if (session.getValue(StringConstants.USER_DATA) == null) {
               // redirect
        }

- Dan