My platform is RH Linux 7.3
I am using Java 1.4 and mod_jk 1.2.0 built from the download site.
I am attempting to connect Apache 2.0.40 with Tomcat 4.0.4

in httpd.conf I made the following changes

LoadModule     module_jk     modules/mod_jk.so
JkWorkersFile  conf/workers.properties
JkLogFile      logs/mod_jk.log
JkLogLevel     debug

JkMount        /examples/* xrm13

in workers.properties I have

workers.tomcat.home = /usr/local/tomcat
workers.java.home = /usr/local/java

worker.list=xrm13

worker.xrm13.port=8009
worker.xrm13.host=localhost
worker.xrm13.type=ajp13

worker.inprocess.type=jni
worker.inprocess.classpath=${workers.tomcat.home}/lib/server/catalina.jar
worker.inprocess.cmd_line=start
worker.inprocess.jvm_lib=${workers.java.home}/jre/lib/i386/server/libjvm.so
worker.inprocess.stderr=${workers.tomcat.home)/logs/inprocess.stderr
worker.inprocess.stdout=${workers.tomcat.home)/logs/inprocess.stdout

In tomcat/server.xml i changed the Engine to

<Engine jvmRoute="xrm13" ...

Everything else stays the same as shipped from the factory

If I load Tomcat and then Apache everything seems to work fine.  This means
that Apache can connect to the out of process instance of Tomcat.

If I load Apache as a daemon in /etc/rc.d/rc5.d then the Mod_jk.log gets a
couple of errors

jk_connect.c (162)jk_open_socket connect( ) failed errorno = 111
jk_ajp_common.c (613) ...
jk_ajp_common.c (859) Error connecting to Tomcat process
jk_ajp_common.c (1168)...

So the inprocess doesn't work.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as i am attmpting to create a turnkey
type of installation.