Well, hold on...which platform are you on?

mod_jk doesn't use AddHandler, it has it's own directives, like "JkMount".
You can actually skip configuring httpd.conf except to add in a single
Include directive, like this:

Include /usr/local/tomcat/conf/auto/mod_jk.conf

and, with a properly configured tomcat, tomcat will create all the mod_jk
directives for you automatically on startup.  That's how it is setup on my
boxes, and it works beautifully.  I never change httpd.conf, just my tomcat
config.

If you are on RH 7.2 or similar, you can check my HOWTO at
http://www.johnturner.com/howto/apache-tomcat-howto.html  I'm updating it
right now, but it should get you started.

You can also check here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/config/ajp.html

John