James,

At 08:49 2002-08-30, you wrote:

>On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 11:41:19AM -0400, Wagoner, Mark wrote:
> > I would use an IDE like Netbeans or Forte to get started.  It will do most
> > of this for you, including packaging the entire app into a WAR file.
>
>no offense but i recommend /not/ doing this.  the ide's do a lot of
>stuff behind the scenes that you may not understand.  if you really
>want to understand the process, do it manually.  once you can do
>simple things manually, you can switch to an ide because you now know
>what the ide is doing under the covers.

I agree with Peter. Learn the ins and outs of Web App configuration first
and later you can rely on automation to relieve you of the burden.

Besides, you  might be surprised with the simplicity of a web.xml file,
especially if you have only JSP pages. Here's the web.xml file I'm
currently using (for a project that's still quite young). It includes a
custom tag library:

-==--==-

<!DOCTYPE web-app
     "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd";>

<web-app>

     <taglib>
         <taglib-uri>/tau-web-elements</taglib-uri>
         <taglib-location>/WEB-INF/TWE.tld</taglib-location>
     </taglib>

</web-app>
-==--===-

No big deal, eh? If I didn't have the custom tags, it could have been
omitted entirely.

Of course, once a proper controller enters the picture, I'll need at least
one servlet declaration and probably some filters. The point is to start
small and simple and then work your way up to more ambitious
configurations. That way you'll know what's what and won't be in the dark
when you need some variation that's not easily obtained from your IDE
(assuming you use one).

> > Once you go through the process within the IDE it starts to make much more
> > sense.
>
>once you start creating large complicated applications, ide's make
>sense because they take some of the manual labor out of the process.
>
>- --
>Peter Abplanalp

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA