From: Randy Secrist [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, September 06, 2002 2:44 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Tomcat standalone Versus Apache

I have heard reports, (although never seen actual numbers or data) that
suggest that if you have a lot of static pages for a large site, standalone
Tomcat decreases in performace pretty quickly.  That said - Apache has also
been tested and proven with static pages, and has a great system for adding
extentions.  As such, many production environments run cgi, php, and other
scripting languages for their web pages.  Apache's role as a fully
serviceable http server is much more broad than the http services Tomcat
connectors provide.  Tomcat connectors CAN interface with Apache to give jsp
/ servlet container abilities to Apache.

Usually, people run Apache + Tomcat so they can use multiple scripting
languages - since the entire world doesn't use java.  While Tomcat does
support cgi (via servlet calls), jsp / servlet containers were not designed
with this explicitly designed as their main role - while Apache was.  I have
also never heard of a servlet that imitates php...although someone who never
sleeps at night has probably implemented it.

Randy