>According to my logs both servlets have their init() methods called
_twice_.
> 2. I have only _one_ context defined in server.xml and it is _not_ the
default context.

I've seen this happen in our environment too. The explanation seems to
be that the ROOT context and our specified contexts both point to a
directory with a WEB-INF so the web.xml is indeed started up twice.

I simply added a line to server.xml to point the root context at
something innocuous - like the src path:

    <Context path="" docBase="D:\somewhere\without\a\servlet\src"
debug="0" />
    <Context path="/my/funkyapp" docBase="D:\real\servlet\root\path\"
debug="0" />

Works for me. ;-)
Tim