The JVM will grow to as much memory as you configure for its max, you can set this with
the java arg "-Xmx".

Then the JVM manages its heap internally.

Add this arg to java when you start Tomcat "-verbose:gc", this will cause
information about garbage collection to be output.  And show you data
about the internal JVM memory usage.

Regards,

Glenn