comments inline

You must insert Listener elements into Tomcat's server.xml file.
Autogeneration does not happen by default.  See the Tomcat documentation for
how to do this, or step 3 of my Redhat HOWTO at
http://www.johnturner.com/howto/apache1-tomcat404-howto.html

> (2) I downloaded the bin mod_jk-01.so which I renamed to
> /usr/lib/mod_jk.so, where RH7.1 keeps all its Apache .so files : is
> mod_jk-01.so the correct version for my environment (see below) and is
> Apache /usr/lib the correct directory ???

Apache 1.3.x uses the APACHE_HOME/libexec directory for DSO modules.
There's no way to know if you have the correct version unless you tell us
where you got it.

> (3) I did not compile Apache from scratch, the default RH7.1
> installation works well sofar. However it seems to lack utilities e.g.
> "$APACHE_HOME/bin/apachectl configtest".  Do I have to download and
> compile Apache over th default RH7.1/Apache1.3 ???

You should most definitely upgrade your Apache. 1.3.19 is very old,
relatively speaking, and there have been a number of security fixes since
then.  The current Apache 1 version is 1.3.26.

John