Just answering 2:

Only JSP's are compiled automagically from .jsp to .java to .class.
(Note that the step to create .java is implementation specific, a
jsp engine could also directly produce the class file)

Servlets (that are not generated from jsp files) are not compiled
automagically. That must be done by yourself.