The discussion regarding Tomcat 4.1.12 was not related to its stability.
I have been using Tomcat 4.1.x in production for over 6 months
(but still with Jasper1), and recently upgraded to Jasper 2.

IMHO, Tomcat 4.1.x is a much better container for production than 4.0.x.

All of the issues raised were about some minor differences in behaviour.
Not about stability. Tomcat 4.1.x has been rock solid for me in production
on a site that heavily uses JSP pages and has >500k page views per month.

Install and test your app in Tomcat 4.1.12. Your app and config may not
even notice the difference, or at most there may be a couple of issues
to resolve.

And if you use JSP with custom tags Jasper2 can really improve performance.

Regards,

Glenn