Does this just not work with Tomcat 4.0?  I've followed all the steps
but I still get a "down red" arrow instead of an "up green" one on the
IIS MMC for the jakarta filter.

Yes, it works. I have it. And with spaces in path.

Questions - about quotes:

Tomcat 4 normally installs in
"C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0" which is where I installed it.

Unfprtunately, this offers the registry, the MMC, and the
workers.properties numerous opportunities to mis-handle quotes.

For instance in the registry:
Should there be quotes around
log_file value:
"C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0\logs\isapi.log"

Not, without quotes.

I've tried it both ways - no luck.

In MMC:
The Virtual directory does not seem to want quotes.  It browses
correctly when given C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0\bin\win32\i386

The filter executable can be specified as
C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0\bin\win32\i386\isapi_redirect.dll

Neither require quotes.

If Tomcat 4 is supposed to work with IIS, I'll move it to a different
directory so that the quote question goes away and try again.

Otherwise, I'll go back to Tomcat 3.x

Thanks,

Rich Katz