Hi Donie,

You can define a variable in the global web.xml (in conf directory).
This variable should be available to all your applications. This should
come at the end of the $TOMCAT_HOME/conf/web.xml file.

Though I have not used and tested this (I use for a single application
in application specific web.xml) I feel it should work.

<env-entry>
    <description>some description</description>
    <env-entry-name>foo</env-entry-name>
    <env-entry-value>bar</env-entry-value>
    <env-entry-type>java.lang.String</env-entry-type>
</env-entry>

Raj