Hi,

I'm running 4.0.4b3 & 4.1.12 on Mac OS X 10.1.5. I had SSL working
correctly, but now, suddenly, it doesn't any more :-(

I suspect that there is something wrong external to tomcat, but this is
the stack trace I get:

[INFO] Http11Protocol - -Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on port 80
java.io.IOException: Cannot recover key
         at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JSSESocketFactory.initProxy(JSSESocketFactory.java:231)
         at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JSSESocketFactory.createSocket(JSSESocketFactory.java:127)
         at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.initEndpoint(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:263)
         at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol.init(Http11Protocol.java:150)
         at
org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteConnector.initialize(CoyoteConnector.java:1002)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.initialize(StandardService.java:579)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.initialize(StandardServer.java:2245)
         at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:509)
         at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:400)
         at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:180)
         at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:203)
[ERROR] Http11Protocol - -Error initializing endpoint
<java.io.IOException: Cannot recover key>
Catalina.start: LifecycleException:  Protocol handler initialization
failed: java.io.IOException: Cannot recover key
LifecycleException:  Protocol handler initialization failed:
java.io.IOException: Cannot recover key
         at
org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteConnector.initialize(CoyoteConnector.java:1004)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.initialize(StandardService.java:579)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.initialize(StandardServer.java:2245)
         at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:509)
         at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:400)
         at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:180)
         at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:203)
Catalina.stop: LifecycleException:  This server has not yet been started

I looked at the source of JSSESocketFactory, and the exception is being
thrown from a rather big try{} block, and ALL exceptions are re-thrown
as IOException, so it's difficult for me to identify where the problem
might be.

The server.xml parameters are correct (they didn't change!), and keytool
can retrieve the certificate. I suspect that the culprit might be a
security upgrade I recently applied to Mac OS X, but before I post a bug
report to Apple, I'd like to pinpoint where the problem is, and
reproduce it in a simple test class, so any help identifying the
offending method call will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Martin