I run mod_jk 1.2.0 and I do not need to recycle Apache when restarting
Tomcat. I did notice a lag of up to 2 minutes after restarting Tomcat
where Apache will not take requests. I think this is due to Tomcat
restarting itself and classloading. Maybe you do not wait long enough
after restarting Tomcat before you retry a connection?

FYI, I am running two Apache 1.3.27 on Redhat load balancing across 4
Tomcats on two Solaris 8 servers.

Ben Ricker