Just to follow through with my current config, which is behaving like a champ.

workers.properties (complete):

worker.list=worker1
worker.worker1.port=8009
worker.worker1.host=FQDN.mydomain.com
worker.worker1.type=ajp13

httpd.conf (LoadModule omitted)

JkWorkersFile /jakarta-tomcat-4.0.6/conf/workers.properties
JkLogFile /usr/local/apaservlet/logs/mod_jk.log
JkLogLevel debug
JkMount /examples/servlet/* worker1

This last line DOES work. JkMount does NOT take a protocol, it takes a worker name.
The following like from jk.log shows why this works:

[Tue Oct 15 15:53:16 2002]  [jk_worker.c (162)]: wc_create_worker, about to create
instance worker1 of ajp13

server.xml

no changes (other than to make sure that ajp13 was enabled)

Hopefully someone on this list will have learnt from my mistake, and type worker!
Aryeh
---
Aryeh Katz
VASCO