U just need to add basic authentication in ur apache httpd.conf file.
Nothing to change in tomcat. Have a look at basic authentication in apache

-----Original Message-----
From: Luca Ventura [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2002 12:37 PM
To: tomcat-user
Subject: How can I protect my servlet with a login and a password?

Hello everybody!

I have Apache Tomcat 4.0 as Servlet Engine and I would like to to the
following
thing: when a user tries to connect to my servlet "MyServlet" a window
should appear that ask him to insert a login and a password
before accessing to the servlet. How can I do this?

Must I change some configuration file in Tomcat? Can I use
the same solution to protect other web resources (for example
the "files" to download)?

Thanks a lot in advance!

                        Luca