If the login is so critical that you want/have to
encrypt it, it doesn't make much sense to me to
open that session to anyone who can listen to
your traffic.

If there can't be done any harm after the login, why
even bother to encrypt the user/password ?

One option for you to work around this, would be
(roughly) something like this:

- Create a hashtable that is global to the webapp.
- Create a hashtable for each session
- Store the session hashtable in the application
  Hashtable and use the session id as key
- if (session.isNew() && (<RequestedSessionId> != null))
  get the session hashtable by using the RequestedSessionId
  and store it with the new SessionId as key.
- otherwise get the session hashtable by using the
  current session id.
- Store your session variables in the session hashtable
- make shure to remove every thing from the application
  hashtable whenever a session gets destroyed.

<snip/>
> Nothing critical is stored in the http session itself.
<snip/>