I believe that it's true. I have defined in java.security the default
providers that come in JDK1.4.1:

security.provider.1=sun.security.provider.Sun
security.provider.2=com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Provider
security.provider.3=com.sun.rsajca.Provider
security.provider.4=com.sun.crypto.provider.SunJCE
security.provider.5=sun.security.jgss.SunProvider

It appears that only SunJCE implements DES algorithm, and when I list my
providers by running it in local shell without any hard-coded addProvider
SunJCE, they are all listed. But, when I do the same thing but in
tomcat environment, they all appears but the SunJCE!!!

What differences exists between SunJCE and the others? I think SunJCE it's
the only one that has a jar in jre/lib/ext! Probably, by any feature/bug of
tomcat, it won't run until we put hard-coded the addProvider method. One
way to explain this is that the jar files inside jre/lib/ext are not used
inside tomcat.

So, when this happen how should we force tomcat to load at "bootstrap
time" the sunjce_provider.jar? It's clear that in common/lib it won't
work... I already tried put it in server/lib/ and lib/ in tomcat
directory.

Any suggestions?

thanks,
Pedro Salazar.