On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Graham Lounder wrote:

> Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 09:35:11 -0300
> From: Graham Lounder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Tomcat Users List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: RE: Digested Passwords and Oracle 8.1.7
>
> I need the algorithm so I can encrypt a password.  The Tomcat Realm would
> then compare the encrypted password to the encrypted password in the
> database.  I don't need to decrypt the password.

If I recall correctly (it's been a while since I was a heavy Oracle user)
there's a SQL function that is used to do the encryption -- check the
Oracle docs.

Another alternative would be to have your authentication code attempt a
connection with the username and password provided by your user -- success
implies that they got it right.

Note, of course, that using the real Oracle username/password can be a
security risk unless you are in a very tightly controlled environment.

> Graham

Craig