On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 12:59, Carson, Chuck wrote:
> I am planning on using log4j within several tomcat based applications.
> My question is, where is the best place to install log4j.jar?
>
> Shoud I place it in $TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib and also place the
> log4j.properties file in the same directory, or should I place a copy of
> log4j.jar in the WEB-INF/lib directory of each application and maintain
> a separate log4j.properties files for each application?

You may consider using Java 1.4's built-in logging mechanism instead.  I
don't think log4j has much of an advantage over the built-in logger, so
I'm getting log4j out of all my code and switching entirely to the
standard logger.  Of course, this requires that you use java 1.4.  If
you have to stick with an older version for some reason you will have to
use log4j.  Java 1.4 has many improvements so it's worth switching if
you can.