In the hope that someone can clarify how this has worked or that this will help
someone else,  I seem to have resolved the issue we were having getting mod_jk working
with Apache 2.0.43 and Tomcat 4.1.12.

As far as I can make out the problem was associated with the automatically configured
mod_jk.conf.

I was originally following the (some may say) lazy route of getting apache to create
the mod_jk.conf file automatically and then including it in the http.conf.  However
the generated file was placing all of the JkMount instructions within a <Virtual Host
localhost> tag.  I was including this file immediately below the DSO LoadModules area
of httpd.conf.

On a bit of a whim (having no hair left to tear out) I manually added the data within
mod_jk.conf to the httpd.conf.

More particularly I added the following beneath the DSO LoadModules section:

<IfModule !mod_jk.c>
  LoadModule jk_module modules/mod_jk.so
</IfModule>

then I added the basic jk commands to the very end of httpd.conf (ie: after everything
else)

JkWorkersFile "/opt/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.12/conf/jk/workers.properties"
JkLogFile "/opt/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.12/logs/mod_jk.log"

JkLogLevel debug

JkMount /examples/* ajp13
JkMount /examples ajp13

For reasons I'm almost entirely unclear about this configuration now works fine.

As I say.  If anybody can clarify why I'd rest easier, but in the meantime it may help
some other poor soul.

Cheers

Tref Gare