On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Billy Ng wrote:

> Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 22:56:54 -0700
> From: Billy Ng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Tomcat Users List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Do I need to delete the app directory for new deployment?
>
> I notice if I just copy the was file and not delete the old app
> directory, tomcat will not extract the new war file.  Is there any
> setting in the web.xml to enforce tomcat to extract the war file after
> restarting?

No.  You have to delete the old directory yourself.

The reason for this design choice is that *way* too many developers seem
to edit changes directly in the directory after it's been unpacked -- and
if Tomcat unconditionally unpacked the WAR every time, we'd get thousands
of bug reports that "Tomcat wiped out my changes!".

A much better development approach is to separate your webapp sources into
their own directory, and have a build/deploy mechanism that assembles the
webapp and deploys it as needed.  An example of how to set this up with
Ant is documented in the Application Developer's Guide that is included
with Tomcat.

> Thanks!
>
> Billy Ng

Craig