Tomcat requires the servlet and servlet mappings in the web.xml, this is the way it works. Essentially, servlets are generated for the jsp pages. I modified my web application this week to precompile the jsp files and no longer include these in my war.

The JspC compiler when used with the -webapp option, also allows the use of either -webxml or -webinc to generate a complete web.xml file or just the servlet and servlet mappings to be included. I found I couldnt do this using the ant jspc command, but rather used a java task to run the jspc command.

My generated .java classes were then compiled with all my other classes and put in the war.

Andy.

Thomas Heller wrote:
hi there,

i am migrating my projects from php to java and began to set up a
development server that ideally does all the dev work once a project is
marked release i just call an ant task to deploy the project to one or more
(load balanced) production servers.

i have written an ant build.xml to compile my webapp and to put everything i
need into "mywebapp.war". thats working very fine and i can just deploy that
.war to a tomcat server without any problems.

now, i have setup another ant task to precompile every jsp file using jasper
(ant task "jspc"). thats working perfectly fine and i have loads of
index_jsp.java, etc files. now i compile those to .class files and i would
like to distribute them inside the .war file so that the tomcat server
itself doesnt need to compile anything by himself. _Ideally_ i'd like to
exclude _any_ .jsp file in the .war file and just include the compiled
jsp.class files.

but i wonder ... tomcat somehow doesnt really know what i'm sending him and
he doesnt recognize any of the precompiled pages. how do i tell tomcat to
use the precompiled pages in the .war instead of compiling them himself?

i know i can write this it into my web.xml

    <servlet>
        <servlet-name>index_jsp</servlet-name>
        <servlet-class>
          my.package.jsp.index_jsp
        </servlet-class>
    </servlet>

    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>index_jsp</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/index.jsp</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>

but somehow i dont like it this way, but i would rather use this instead of
putting jsp files into the .war file. would be cool if tomcat would do
something like this by himself when he finds *_jsp.class in a
/WEB-INF/precompiled directory.

Anyways maybe tomcat has some support for what i'm trying to find and i just
can't find it? Comments welcome

Greetings,
Thomas